Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Can You Make Money From Thrifting? "Let's Talk Goodwill "

I can't tell you the last time I actually went into a mall or department store to buy something. I bet it has been years. Why, because you can literally find everything that you need to live a very comfortable life by shopping in thrift stores. By this, I mean any church thrift shop or local thrift stores in the area.  But, I also go to Goodwill and the Salvation Army. I will say I'm not a fan of upscale consignment shops only because you have 2 people who want a piece of the pie. So, if you can cut out the middle man you are saving money. Remember, these shops are getting this stuff for free, consignment stores aren't.
Today lets talk about Goodwill. I could sit here and give you lots of info about how Goodwill Industries came to be, but that is kinda boring. So, for all the nerds (me included) this is the link to Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries Even in the Goodwill world, there is a hierarchy. Some quick tips, if you have a resale certificate bring in a copy and you don't have to pay tax on your purchase. On certain days seniors or veterans may get a discount. Always check your items in good lighting, stains are easy to miss. Try on clothing if you can, just because you are getting a deal it may not fit. I love buying vintage linens, but again stains and wholes just devalue the item.
1). Boutique Goodwills you guessed it, upscale stores with much higher-end merchandise. Unless you are buying for yourself that Gucci purse for a couple hundred dollars might be nice,  but when you are reselling it, there's not much room for profit. Honestly, I have found some good items like Royal Doulton character jugs for $l0.00 each, and leather items but no deals to speak of.

2). Retail and Superstore Goodwill stores are usually where I go. Most are very clean and have some organization to them. Not in binds that you have to plow through. Each week a certain color is picked and marked down 50%. Just remember the color as you are going through. I would say this is the best place to find great deals. Yes, even their prices have gone up, but deals can still be found.

3). Goodwill Outlet Stores. Here is where the fun really begins. If you have the patience, time and wear with all this is the place for you. First, get there early, I mean early. People start lining up 2 to 3 hours before opening time. Kinda like the old Black Friday sales at Macy's.   And for heaven sakes bring a good pair of gloves. Once you start dumpster diving into these bins you never know what you will find. Buying by the pound sounds like fun....I can just have someone say, "I'll take 5.00 worth of underwear please", just kidding. Just be careful, broken glass and sharp items can find there way into the bins. And by all means, wash your hands when done. 








So what's the bottom line. If you are thrifting for yourself, go and have some fun. You can't beat the home decor items, especially if you are into retro or vintage stuff. As they say "one mans junk is another man's treasure." If you are buying to resell like I do, make sure that you can make a profit on the item. Don't forget to add in packaging material and postage to your costs. If it is a heavy item it probably isn't worth the expense of the postage costs.   Clean everything that you purchase, it may look great but old used stuff can get a funky smell to them. You don't really know where they came from, especially if they were smokers or had pets. Just a few tips that I have learned. So," happy thrifting" to one and all. I guess since this is my blog I can add by little Esty shop link. https://www.etsy.com/shop/SweetPeaVintageTwo?ref=hdr_shop_menu

No comments:

Post a Comment