Sunday, April 22, 2018

I Love Mushrooms and I Don't Mean Ones That You Smoke

I love mushrooms and I don't mean ones that you can smoke. I think that it may have been a fallacy way back in the 60s and 70s. That if you dried, ground up and rolled them like a joint you would get high if you smoked them. No, the mushrooms that I am talking about are the retro vintage style dating back to the 70s and mostly designed for a kitschy kitchen. Sears used to carry a very cool line of Merry Mushroom series. Women went crazy for them. This was the era of orange, yellow and avocado green, throw a bit of brown and you had a retro kitchen. Oh, don't forget the shag carpet. But it was the Merry Mushroom design that I found enchanting. Here are a few pics of what you could find in the Sears Catalog back in the 70s. Enjoy a trip down memory lane.

Mushrooms, where do they all come from.
The Sears catalog. 

It is pretty hard to find a complete set of canisters anymore. 


If you couldn't find it in the Sears catalog you probably couldn't find it anywhere. 





Sears carried just about anything a happy housewife of the 60s or 70s could want. From dishes to lawnmowers to fancy dresses that they can wear to the Junior Women's Luncheons. All you had to do was circle the items then call or fill out a order form and like magic they would appear at your doorstep. Even if your husband wasn't happy about you spending his hard earned money, I bet he wouldn't even notice them. I could put new things right on the counter and my husband wouldn't even know they were there. Oh, well.



The Merry Mushroom series has become pretty popular these days. The younger generation is getting a bit nostalgic and like to bring back memories from their mothers or grandmothers. Especially around the holidays, we do tend to get a bit sentimental.








No comments:

Post a Comment